Monday, January 23, 2012

Hype for Another?

Among the million other things I should probably doing instead, I had to get this one out before my mind gained its composure.

First, a little foreshadowing. Watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica gave me a valuable lesson about watching anime. I'm already wise up on not judging a book on its cover, but this taught me that I shouldn't necessarily judge by the first few pages or chapters either. Madoka was a show that started too slow for me for something I was so hyped up for off the bat. Quite honestly, just the character designs were enough to intrigue me, but Tomoe using guns and Sakaya wielding a sword helped draw my attention. Even with the expectation of a cutesy action anime, I was ready to tag along in a world of magical rainbow blasts and sparkly transformation scenes.

What I got was something COMPLETELY different. I'm not mad at the fact, but there was so much idle time and a lot of magical stuff NOT happening in the first couple of episode, that I literally dropped the show after episode 2. Somewhere between eps 3-5, some friends had hyped it up on Facebook, and I decided to give it another shot. The following video portrays my feelings through out the rest of the ride:


Not gonna go into my impressions of the show because that's not what this blog is about. What it is about is how I've used this precedence to keep and open mind about trying things that initially turn me off. As such I've been playing through Funnel Fantasy XIII, started watching a playthrough of Final Fantasy X, and have recently been sitting tight for shit to go down in two shows from this anime season: Moretsu Pirates (shows has like 3 names, but Moretsu should take you to the right links in a Google search) and Another.....





Another's recent episode (ep 3, at the time of typing this) just delivered. I'm quite anxious to see how the pacing keeps up from this turning point, but FUCK.

For a rough synopsis, a guy who's been in the hospital for a while is going to middle school in a new town while his dad's away. He's put in a peculiar class with a peculiar history: 26 years ago, a popular girl in the class passed away, but all the students and faculty acted like she was still alive, with the principal going so far as to include her seat in the graduation ceremony. Meanwhile, back in present time, our protagonist acquaints himself with a mysterious, moody girl in his class that draws often and has a patch over her left eye. She doesn't seem to socialize and everyone in class gets super tense when our guy mentions the girl...

So already you know this is going to be a spooky story, and I'm glad my mind was open enough to hold on through three episodes for something to happen (yeah, I'm impatient at times. Sue me), because for the type of story this is and the way the sequence of events is panning out, everything has only the potential to get better. Maybe I'm just overly intrigued, since this is the first real horror anime I've watched, and I'm not going to spoil exactly why I'm so hyped about it right now (it's an overly simple reason), but either way I recommend trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment