Saturday, February 11, 2012

Focus on Fighting

Recently, I've been trying to properly re-align my priorities, but even then my priorities have priorities. On the lower part of my overall list are fighting games, and with the time I'm trying to limit myself to spending on them, I'm now completely unsure where to put most of that time. My lack of funds won't get me to tournaments too frequently, but that's all good because I need a lot of time in training mode as it is anyway (properly read as: "I suck"). So, I guess this is just an outline of my internal conflict on the matter, based on each game I'm playing/interested in playing. These may just seem petty or dumb, but it's just what's on my mind as I'm thinking about it:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

With all the "Blah, blah, blah, not a real fighting game" aside, this is the game I've played the most, competitively, and I never moved past average (if that). I've seen many of my local peers go from going even with me in matches, to completely outplaying me, even on my best days. Natural that I'd want to put in the time I've been neglecting for the longest, right?

Conflict:  I really don't know what direction I want to take here. I main Marth. Practicing things solo is one thing (that I'm sure I don't do properly, but that's yet another issue), but getting the experience I need is kind of tough. As I've mentioned, I don't get out to tournaments frequently anymore, and most of the people I'd play with are *kinda* out of the way (contributing factors are part me being lazy about traveling via MARTA and part the fact that it takes me almost 2+ hours to get to what I'll assume are the most frequented venues without a ride). Playing online is painful both for the fact that it's hard (for me at least) to play my character on Nintendo's lame wifi, as well as the fact that my Brawl disc now insists on not being read at frequent intervals.


Soul Calibur 5

I suppose I should have just mentioned this earlier, but I honestly don't feel like going back up to make it fit, but one large issue about this entire thing is that I only have Brawl, MBAACC, and UMvC3. SC5 is just fortunately in my friends' possessions, so I can occasionally spend some time on it. So a conflict I won't further mention that applies across the board is my not having certain games for myself.

SC is the only 3D fighter series I really even like, and I feel somewhat hype for the latest installment, because I'm actually able to play it at the beginning of the hype, for once. I still miss Cassandra, but whatever. :(

Conflict:  Access. Granted, I can chill at my friend's spot generally whenever, but all I can really do is fuck around with the characters. The spot I go to to play this game has ass internet (most times we can't even load Facebook in a timely manner), which usually tosses online out of the window, and I'm seemingly the only one of the group that intends to play competitively, so I feel there's not much I can learn on my own in this scenario, not to mention I get really bored, really quick due to that. I get the feeling that I have to have this sitting in front of me at home to get the most out of it, not to mention some good references (Point me in the right direction for this, if you would) on playing Pyrrha ω  and maybe Patrokolos α.


Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

I wasn't around competitive gaming during most of the hype for the first two Marvels, but MvC2 seemed like a staple for all fighters to have in their repertoire when I did come in, so I figured I'd compensate by having MvC3 in mine. 

Conflict:  Besides constantly dropping combos, I'm not completely sure. I sometimes feel like I'm generally not comfortable with using characters outside of Zero, but overall I just don't know how to play the game. How do I approach with Amaterasu? How should I defend/counterattack when I'm being locked down? Why does it feel necessary to RUN INTO HULK'S s.H EVERY TIME? Stuff like that.


Blazblue: Continuum Shift 2

It's just fun enough to watch this game played on a competent level. It was also supposed to make up for my lack of presence during the Guilty Gear era when it came out as Calamity Trigger.

Conflict:  I play Noel, and only Noel, because I either don't like the concepts of some of the other characters or just don't feel comfortable with them. Why is that a conflict? Logically it makes no sense for me to care about whether I can play characters other than my main (unless it's just a game where you really need a counterpick sometimes), but part of the fun for me in a lax or casual environment is being able to switch between multiple characters. Not being able to do so in this game triggers a turn-off for me. Part of me still would like to improve in the game, though.


Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code

Probably my top candidate for focusing on, just for the fact that I love Type-Moon and many of its characters.

Conflict:  Learning three iterations of the same character. Probably not needed, but it seems to be the standard and creates some flexibility, so why not? This is a conflict because I'm really slow on learning and applying things in fighting games. Hell, I'm still stuck repeating two BnBs for ONE iteration of ONE character whenever I start up the game. So, I sit here feeling like, "Waaaaah, I wanna try other characters!" and mentally retorting with, "No. Shut the fuck up and learn your main character (Shiki R.) first." Perhaps something like this will change if I were to neglect other games and put what attention and time I could on this one, but...yeah. I'd have to see. There's also a lingering fear of putting focus on a game where I couldn't use my machine to offer multiplayer unless the opposition uses a keyboard (one of my two USB ports are broken). Aka, I can't play versus my more casual-oriented gamer friends unless they happen to have themselves.


Arcana Heart 3

A number of cool looking characters with a multitude of different playstyles. And they're all female, which matters. ^___^

Conflict:  I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY TOUCHED THE DAMN GAME YET.


So, yeah. There's all of that nonsense, plus the want for an arcade stick to play these games with. Even though I'd have to get used to a stick (again), there are just so many things that feel relatively more comfortable to do it than on pad. I already know that's just a matter of money, so it's not a complaint or anything, but it's still an issue to be noted and eventually resolved (hopefully).

Opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment